Ticker

Time Out

We've started time out with Braxton. I never really saw it as an "effective" way of discipline but its my last resort. I don't like spanking him, I don't believe that is always, well, hardly ever the way a child should be disciplined. In rare cases when he has deliberatly done something he knows he shouldn't & risks hurting himself or others we have spanked him.

However here recently he entered what I like to call "the one year old phase." Yes, I realize he is almost 3 years old. He's in a phase where he gets into everything, tears up everything, just like a one year old, but with a twist: He can talk. Eek.

I was always so proud. Braxton wasn't one of those bratty 2 year olds that you see on tv or in the store screaming their head off because they want this, or they want that. "If this is the terrible twos" I would think, "then most parents just don't have patience because this is a breeze." Then it all changed when little miss Adelyn came home. Screaming, jealousy, tantrums (in the middle of the store especially), ect. It was awful. (he has gotten a bit better though)

So add all of what I just said to this: He is always getting into things now. Mostly when I am feeding, changing, bathing, Addie. It's like he knows I am occupied and he can 'get away' with whatever he wants. A short list of what he's done in the past 2 weeks when I wasn't looking:

-tried to flush his soccer ball down the toilet
-got into my make up (I've since learned to keep it in a higher place than the bathroom counter)
-ripped his bed open and tore all the stuffing out
-got into a box of bisquik and tried to make "pankcakes" and "pop"
-grabbed the yarn I was using, wrapped in around a nearby chair and got it very knotted and then proceeded to take my work in progress off the needle and unravel it.

Then there is the talking factor. He's got this attitude now. If I tell him to do something he says "No!" and points at me (as if HE were getting on to ME!) He back talks and won't listen to a word you say unless you yell. I thought he was too young for this kind of behaviour.

So this is where time out comes into play. Whenever he does something he knows he is not supposed to be doing (which by now, he definetly knows right from wrong!) then I tell him he's got "2 minutes of time out" in his room. (2 minutes because he is 2 years old, in 2 months it will be 3 minutes b/c he will be 3) When we tell him this he actually listens and goes to his room. I just have to be strong. He stands inside his room right by the door and asks in the saddest, sweetest little voice "Mommy, I come out yet?" I tell him no, you've got 2 minutes and then you can come out. He cries "Otaaaaaay." ....a minute later: "Mommy..I wanna come out pleeeeasee?" "No you still have one minute left." He cries again "Ota-a-a-aaay" When his two minutes are over I tell him his time out is over and to come talk to mommy. I then explain to him what he did wrong, why it is wrong and tell him acceptable ways to behave.

It seems to really be working, he's not getting in trouble AS often. He's just so cute when he pleads to come out. I have to fight a smile every time. Another cute thing is sometimes when he gets upset he tells me "Mommy. Wanna go to my room!" So I tell him, Okay then go. Then he stands at the door and asks if he can come out yet. Silly boy! I have to tell him I didn't send him to time out...he chose to go to his room! haha Poor boy is probably going to hate his room.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home