Ticker

Worries...

So I thought I would be excited about Braxton only needing to see the doctor once a year now, but it turns out...I'm not. I have so many questions about his development/whats normal, etc but I don't want to call her for every question. I'm thinking since Brax & I have the same doctor I might just bring up some of my concerns at my next appointment (which is in 2 weeks! Yay!! kind of--I have to do the glucose test-ughhh!) Anyways, right now the only thing that is worrying me is his speech.

At his appointments she always asks if he can say or if he knows "so many" words. He does. He knows lots of words, and he talks alot. It's just the way he speaks. Most words that he says he only says the first syllable or leaves letters off.

Examples:
Dog=Dah (No G sound)
Camera=Ca (leaves off -mera) -the only way I know he is saying camera is because he always points to it and says "Ca"
Water=Wa (No -ter)

He is like this with nearly EVERY word he speaks. I understand that it's probably normal to be like that with a few words but his whole vocabulary shouldn't be like that.

Being around other toddlers just worries me more. His cousin Gavin-who is (I think) 3 months younger than him speaks SO clearly and so well! I can't help but worry. We were in a restraunt the other day and saw a little boy sitting with his parents-looked 2 or 3 and he was READING. Speaking clear as day and then read the number 2 and his parents say "Yes-2. Thats how old you are!" And my mouth hung open....and I went into panic mode.

It doesn't help to talk to my mom or DH about these worries-so I must rant/worry here :D My mom just tells me to read to him. Which I have tried. I get about 3 words out and he grabs the book from me and pretends to read it while just jabbering non sense. He's always been like that. DH just tells me not to worry and to work with him more often. Siiiigh.

I think I will bring it up at my next appointment. I need some peace of mind.

2 comments:

Just make sure you are talking to him CONSTANTLY. Always point out the words for thinks in his environment. Talk about what he's doing (parallel talk). Ex: "Are you pushing your trucks around on the floor? Vroom Vroom!" Talk about what you're doing (self talk). Ex: "Mommy is making lunch. I'm stirring up the mac & cheese! It's yellow". Add more words to what he says to you to make it a whole sentence (stretch talk). Ex: He says "more juice" (or "more ju") and you said "Would you like some more juice in your cup?". These are all techniques that we recommend to the parents in our program to encourage language development. And KEEP READING to him, even if you can only get out a few words at a time! If you know the took well, just make it up by looking at the pictures if he took the book away and you can't see the words anymore. It's normal to have a short attention span and want to walk away during reading time. Just keep reading anyway! He'll get interested again if you voice changes or you make an animal sound and he'll come back to you. HTH!

June 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

Thanks so much! :)

June 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home